[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans Stomp (Again...)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 27 16:04:25 PDT 2005

Dear Luis,
My apologies.
I meant to reply earlier, but somehow your email request was 'lost' in the
DJML email inbox.
To my knowledge, there are no lyrics to "New Orleans Stomp (1923. Joe Oliver
and Alphonse Picou). It was initially recorded by King Oliver's Creole Jazz
Band (16 Oct 1923) and Johnny Dodds' Black Bottom Stompers (22 April 1927).
You mention that you "have a few recordings of this tune but, unfortunately,
can not full understand the lyrics - the guys have an awful accent!"
What recordings do you have with words?
I can't find any in my files.
"Papa de Da Da" (1925. Clarence Williams- Clarence Todd)) was subtitled 'A
New Orleans Stomp' on the Clarence Williams Washboard Band Okeh version (11
Nov 1930) along with the addition of Spencer Williams name as composer.
Perhaps this is the song you have in mind.
Kind regards,
Bill.