[Dixielandjazz] Re: Carl Halen's Gin Bottle 7

Don jdrobertson at att.net
Wed Jul 27 09:01:59 PDT 2005

Father Mike Logsdon and I have acquired two 12"  Riverside LP's of the
GB7, Gin Bottle Jazz and Whoopie Makers Jazz.  I had earlier gotten a
casette tape from a friend who dubbed it from a commercial reel to reel
tape acquired in the late 50's.  We noticed at least one of the tunes
Four Five times or Angry was different from the one on the LP.
Apparently the tape was made from one of the afore mentioned 10" LP's.
BTW, as of at least last fall, Carl Halen and the Little Chicago Jazz
Society were selling a 2 CD set of live venue performances of the GB7
in  1957.  The micing was not good for vocals, but otherwise great
stuff!!  Contact me off list and I'll dig up the address if anyone is
interested.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA