[Dixielandjazz] Re: Stereo vs. Mono?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 26 00:21:47 PDT 2005

Dear Larry and friends,
When Hi-Fi came in, I was devoted to the jazz sounds of the 1920s (still am)
and could never see the point of spending my hard-earned $$$s buying
equipment which only enhanced the surface noise, hiss, clicks and pops of
our 78s and early LPs.
Essential equipment though, if you wanted to play the dreadful artificial
'stereoization' of the English Ace of Hearts jazz reissue LPs or the audio
'enhancements' made by my friend, the late Robert Parker.
So I didn't bother at the time.
Fortunately it all got better and John RT Davies, and then CD, eventually
revealed the sound quality of the music hidden in the grooves of the old
records.
This thread also made me dig out and play the over-hyped Verve MGV-4005 LP:
Spike Jones Demonstrates Your Hi-Fi. 'Dinner Music for people who aren't
very hungry' (Sept 1956).
Lots of glugs, klaxons, auto horns, cowbells, pistols in hi-fi stereo - plus
Tommy Pederson recreating his famous and magnificent "Flight of the Bumble
Bee" solo (issued here as "The Sneezin' Bee") finishing with a fonk, so
beloved by our mate Don Ingle.
The LP also concludes with a hi-fi version of "Chloe" (featuring Red Ingle)
from the 1945 Standard radio transcription.
Kind regards,
Bill.