[Dixielandjazz] Stereo vs. Mono?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Jul 25 16:58:04 PDT 2005

I was going to mention the ping pong and other sounds.  I thought I had that
on a demo record but now that I think of it I must have heard it on the
radio.  I did have a stereo setup and demo record with some weird stuff on
it.

It took everybody quite a while to figure out what this stereo stuff was all
about and how to make it work.  We didn't have an FM at that time.  I
remember the KSD ones because they had an AM and TV station and could do it
at least that's what I remember.

It was pretty poor and any stereo effect was lost in the poor equipment of
the time.  Our AM radio was a small table top thing with probably a 4"
speaker and the TV wasn't much better.  No wonder I saw little future to it
especially compared to a good HI Fi.  My brother built his hi-fi from
scratch, amp and all.  He was something of an engineering and electrical
genius.  I remember him showing me his first computer.  I didn't even know
what they were but he built one that could add numbers.  This was in about
1957 or 1958.  No one even knew what they were.  He also developed a radio
direction finding antenna.  In the early 50's he had a recording lathe and
cut records in our basement.  We had a lot of musicians come by and make
records.  They were on an aluminum disk that had been dipped in hot vinyl or
some other plastic.  When he had a dud he would put the thing in hot water,
strip off the plastic and use the aluminum to make chassis for whatever he
was building that week.  He was pretty heavy into hydrophonic gardening too.
He died a few years after the Korean War from radiation (Brain cancer) that
he got while working with radar and microwaves.  He is the one that
introduced me to a lot of the music that helped shape me.  He would take me
to the Muny often and we would sit in the free seats.  We rode a street car
and then walked.  He was a musician too but didn't really do a lot with it.

I was in college before I built my first stereo which was about 1960.

Larry Walton
St. Louis