[Dixielandjazz] RE: Stardust (was Verses)

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sun Jul 24 16:48:04 PDT 2005

Bill,

Good stuff!

The section quoted in the Random House page addresses Carmichael's story of
its composition, and the author concludes that Carmichael was working on the
song as early as 1926 when he was in Florida trying to establish himself as
a lawyer.

I tend to discount stories of people who say songs were stolen from them,
particularly songs as complex as Star Dust.  Carmichael had already
published tunes.  Riverboat Shuffle was recorded as early as 1924 that I
know of.

One thing I noticed about the Hank Wells story is that people say they heard
him tell the story, but there is no one who says that they (or their parents
or grandparents or whatever) actually heard Wells actually play the tune at
the piano.  Was there anyone at Indiana University who heard it?  Why didn't
Wells sue Carmichael?  When did Wells first tell the story?  All kinds of
questions come to mind.

And it's not exactly like Carmichael never wrote a great song after that,
despite the conclusion reached in your quote.  Hoagy wrote Skylark, Georgia
on My Mind, and a number of other songs that may not "meet or exceed" Star
Dust but certainly aren't chopped liver!  He was certainly a prolific
writer.  Check out the site www.hoagy.com , a site his son Hoagy B.
Carmichael put together, which lists in alphabetical order everything that
Carmichael published.  Interestingly enough this gives the copyright date of
"Stardust" as January 5, 1928.  Perhaps the 1929 copyright date was the date
Carmichael assigned the copyright to Mills.

As for the question about the Sinatra "verse only" recording of Stardust (or
Star Dust), it appears in the "Sinatra and Strings" album from 1962 (source:
http://newsummer.com/mp3.shtml ).  Sinatra was with Reprise by that time.
I've heard it, but I don't have the record.

Hal