[Dixielandjazz] Re: There are verses to "Indiana!"

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Jul 21 17:28:19 PDT 2005

I found the sheet music of "Indiana" at the University of Indiana site
given in to us a couple of days ago--the tunes through 1922 can be
downloaded in ,pdf format.

"Avalon" is on the Levy collection site, which has .jpg versions of their
pubic domain titles. Verse and Chorus are both in G. Al Jolson's 1920
record is in F, at a light 2-beat tempo. During his revival days with
string orchestra in the 40s(?), he sang it as a ballad in Eb.

Both will be used in upgrading "Dixieland FB Vol. 1".
Indiana also had "Rose of Washington Square" from which I'll make a
"straight" sheet (I put the Turk Murphy-Pat Yankee version in DixFB Vol. 1).

--Sheik