[Dixielandjazz] Phrasing

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 20 19:56:49 PDT 2005

Tough subject.

IMO the best, as someone said, was Armstrong.

But as Jazz developed since the 1920s, the phrases have become much more
complicated as have the musician's ideas.

The more modern guys often think in 16 to 32 bar lines. They create a
totally new melody. So the breath spots are very different from where a
singer might put them. Guys like Davern, or Pee Wee Russell before him, or
Thelonious Monk also changed the time to fit what they were saying.

I think it depends upon what the player is trying to communicate that
determines the phrasing.

And what the listener hears regarding that communication is what gives us
our opinions. So sometimes we might cut the player a break. Instead of
saying "He Sucks", we might say "My ears aren't ready for him yet." :-) VBG.

For most of us, the solution is to breathe where the singer would, but those
creating on another level or two up, don't always do that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone