[Dixielandjazz] Ralph Grugel

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jul 20 21:17:26 PDT 2005

SailOhr at aol.com wrote:

>Fellow DJMLers,
>
>Today we are greatly saddened by the news that Ralph Grugel, leader of the
>Eagle Jazz Band of the Cleveland, Ohio area has left our midst. The tears we
>shed today at his passing could not have been anticipated back when we first met
>him some ten years ago at the Great International Ragtime and Jastime Festival
>in Alexandria Bay, NY.  We liked him immediately, for he was that sort, but
>soon loved his humor and wit. his trombone style, and his Eagle Jazz Band.
>Ralph was one of a kind.
>
>We can still hear him singing:
>
>Sometimes I'm cramped and I'm crowded here.
>And I long for elbow room
>How I long to reach for altitude
>Where the fairest flowers bloom
>It won't be long before I pass
>Into that city fair
>With fifty miles of elbow room
>On either side to spare
>
>Oh, when the gates swing wide on the other side
>Just beyond the sunset sea
>There'll be room to spare as we enter there
>There'll be room for you and room for me
>Oh, for the gates are wide on the other side
>Where the fairest flowers bloom.
>On the right hand and on the left hand,
>Fifty miles of elbow room
>
>We're sure Gabriel will meet him at the gates, and he and Ralph will form a
>heavenly jazz band.
>

>Ed and Sharon
>Wallingford, CT

This is indeed sad news to receive. The jolly giant, with his trombone
always in the Turk Murphy mode, was not only a good player but a warm
and witty fellow.
I had the chance to work with him, and also work opposite of his band at
several Ohio dates with the Sons of Bix in Cleveland. Went down to the
Flats to catch him on several visits to Cleveland and Ralph was always
great fto hear and even greater fun to be with. What a loss to the jazz
scene in Cleveland and Ohio. And what a loss to his friends. We had
inquired about him at Logan and the report was that his health was not
good but he was still playing. A trouper to the end..
Jean and I will miss "the large one", but I imagine he will be
conferring with Turk on just how he did down here. Suspect Turk will
say..."good chops and the gusto to go with."
Don Ingle