[Dixielandjazz] Phrasing

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Wed Jul 20 21:40:53 PDT 2005

Phrasing is as everyone has pointed out like a sentence.  Some people are
capable of writing long involved sentences and make perfect sense while
others just ramble.

Not everyone is capable of understanding complicated phrasing or even likes
it.  I may be one of those.  I have scratched my head more than once and
tried to figure out just what the hell someone was doing.  There is a guy
here in St. Louis that weaves very complicated solos and most of the time I
just walk away shaking my head.  Others think he is the greatest thing since
hamburgers.  Then there is my favorite sax player, Kim Park from KC, who
also weaves very complicated solos with sometimes non standard phrasing and
I understand everything he does.  Both players have incredible technique,
intonation, tone and all the other things I like but one I just don't
understand.  Are all the people that like him wrong?  I just don't know but
the guy just doesn't float my boat whereas Kim's work does.

Changing phrasing also tends to attack the old AABA structure of so many
OKOM tunes.

Phrasing seems to be a matter of taste and education.  You are right,
Armstrong was awesome.

Larry Walton
St. Louis