[Dixielandjazz] quesrion of the week (end)

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 16 09:53:52 PDT 2005

On Saturday, July 16, 2005, at 11:44 AM, Cebuisle2 at aol.com wrote:

> Now-the problem and question-The party treasury is kinda low, so
> only four
> musicians can be paid-not even able to skim a few bucks from each of
> the four
> to  include a fifth (musician, that is) Assuming that the cornet,
> clarinet and
> trombone are a given-

Why on earth would you assume that?  You need a tuba and a banjo
first--then select a couple of horns: I'd go with a high (clarinet,
or, better still, a soprano) and a low--i.e, a trombone.  The soprano
can sub for trumpet anytime.   O dump the clarinet and go with a
trumpet as the high voice.   But the banjo/tuba is your base.  Don't
blow it!

Charlie