[Dixielandjazz] quesrion of the week (end)

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 09:44:55 PDT 2005

Ok list-

Give me your professional opinion (s)

You are asked to play Dixieland at a greeting for a senator returning from
D.C to greet the faithful. Location will be the tarmac at the airport, hotter
than Hades. You are to start as soon as he comes out the airplane door and
waves. (pre 9/11 of course-you would be lucky to get the horns past security in
the terminal bldg now!)

There is no electricity, so you won't be using a keyboard (unless you have  a
battery powered one-which we didn't) Nor will you have an amplified bass or
guitar for same reason-

Now-the problem and question-The party treasury is kinda low, so only four
musicians can be paid-not even able to skim a few bucks from each of the four
to  include a fifth (musician, that is) Assuming that the cornet, clarinet and
trombone are a given- WHAT is your fourth choice?? Tuba or bass? Banjo?
Drums?  acoustic guitar? Significant other? This COULD happen to you some day.

This actually happened. to me. The worst part was having to play "Happy  Days
Are Here Again" over and over,. It was the only tune they wanted.  Aaargh!

                            tradjazz

Yeah ,I know. We were desperate to  play!
     tradjazz