[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Jul 16 08:43:33 PDT 2005

Stan,
It is another Fred who wants the All Stars picture (Fred Ollison, email of 7/12). As I said in my reply to you on 7/14 it is in "Louis Armstrong. A Cultural Legacy"  ed. Marc H. Miller published by the Queen's Museum of Art. New York, and theUniversity of Washington Press, 1994, with this caption," The original members of the All Stars in concert in Boston, 1947. Dick Cary, Velma Middleton, Jack Teagarden, Armstrong, Barney Bigard, Big Sid Catlett,and Arvell Shaw." This is a valuable, well illustrated book with essays by Dan Morgenstern and others.
Anyone wanting information on Louis should go to <www.satchmo.net> website of the "Louis Armstrong House and Archive". Cheers.
Fred
P. S. The radio is playing one of the non-jazz things Louis liked, "Song of the Islands", which was Ben Pollack's theme and part of the mostly untold history of jazz in Hawaii.