[Dixielandjazz] quesrion of the week (end)

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 10:33:04 PDT 2005

Dear Trad Jazz:

This is one of those gigs where you should have stayed home and watched
a Dark TV SCREEN.

THAT CLOWN no doubt makes somewhere in the range of $250.000.00 a year
for going around your community and State raising money from folks like
you and your neighbors, probably got the airplane ride on your tax
dollars too.   More than likely is in town to raise some more money at
$1,000.00 a plate Dinners for his/her Re-election campaign.

If his party has no money to pay for a Band then they obviously spent
it all on the campaign trail trying to raise money to send him/her back
to Washington last election.   As usual bad fiscal planning by
Politicians and their friends.

You should have told the person who hired you that you were a major
contributor to the Senator's  election campaign and that you donated
far more than the meager fees for the band for that gig and that the
least they could do was to pay you a fair and reasonable wage for this
gig hellacious as it was.

Of all people on this earth Politicians can afford to pay musicians
wages far better than most who do, and they will find a way to charge
it to the taxpayers anyway so don't be so DESPERATE to Play a Gig.
This is the kind of stuff that has ruined the marketplace and respect
for Professional musicians for fifty years or better, and cause bands
to be DESPERATE to play.

I would have taken all the money in advance that they had to offer and
showed up with a Boombox and a Bullhorn for a PA and played "I'll be
glad when your Dead you Rascal You"  over and over.

Yeah I know they would never hire you again, but so what the gig was
not worth having anyway and at least you could have been "POLICIALLY
CORRECT:" and made a Strong Political Statement at the same time. :))

I would rather play a gig in the horse barn at the race track than
that, at least you could play in the shade and there would be a water
faucet nearby.

"PLAN AHEAD"

Nothing wrong  with turning down a BAD GIG man.

I do it every day sometimes many times a day, and if someone called me
for that gig and I turned it down, and they asked me if I could
recommend another band that would do it, for obviously  crappy money
and circumstances, I would also tell them that no I don't know any
Professional musicians who would grovel desperately to play a gig like
that.

Think about it for thirty seconds amigo,  If I were your agent and I
sent you out to play that gig, "would you ever take another gig from me
again?  bet you would not even pay the commission on  that shitty gig
either.

Like Steve Barbone said in an earlier post today.   Take back control
of your music and where, when and how you play.
Staus Quo ain't no longer Staus Quo.   This is the 21st Century and
folks who hire music and bands should be forced to come up to the
professional and economic levels of reality for today's economy or be
pushed out of the business to make room for those who will.   This
ain't 1938 folks and we are no longer living in the Great Depression
Era, If they can't or won't afford a Band let em turn on the radio.
You can bet your butt that if their toilet plugged up an hour before
their fundraising gala that they would find  the money to call a
Plumber out at $140.00 and hour with a $2.00 plunger to unstop it.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

No Starving artist or desperate musician.