[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland playing at funerals

Steve & Cathy Pendleton bestofbreed at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 15 18:57:33 PDT 2005

Larry Walton asked on July 14 about playing Dixieland at funerals ,
and commented that no one does it in St. Louis.

The St. Louis Banjo Club plays for its deceased members.  My dad is
in the club and he has played 2-3 funerals a year recently.  I have
not called him for the song list, but I am sure that "Amazing
Grace", "Saints"  and "Closer Walk With Thee" (no surprise) are
performed at every service, as well as any appropriate requests made
by the families, that they happen to know.

Of course, not a real problem with volume here, as you might have
with horns.

P. S.  A small group of us have played the three numbers above, plus
"What A Wonderful World",  once a year at a Catholic church down
South the past three years, and the priest says the congregation
can't wait to have the group return.