[Dixielandjazz] politically correct?

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 18:57:53 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, July 13, 2005, at 09:23 PM, Cebuisle2 at aol.com wrote:

>  I scratched the song from the set.
>
> How do you active musicians handle this?

I understand your having done this, but I think you were quite
wrong.  How do you handle idiocy?  Ignore it.  Pay no attention to
that little man behind the curtain--nor to those idiots who may
possibly be in the audience.

My band was always a "mixed" band: 4 white guys and 2 black guys.  We
never had problems with that sort of thing.  I sang Fats' "Black and
Blue" every night for years.  No problem.
I'd come to the first line of the bridge, "I'm white..." and my black
guys would say "I'm hip!" and we'd proceed.

Charlie