[Dixielandjazz] Gigging with Randy Reinhart

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 20:56:47 PDT 2005

Just returned from a concert in Moorestown NJ (America's #1 place to live
according to Money Magazine & TV's Today Show)

Randy Reinhart was subbing for our usual guy who was at the Showboat. Great
fun from the beginning. First spotted him in the parking lot with his cell
phone to his ear.

Randy says: "It's for you". So I take it and say "Hello."

Female on other end starts laughing . . . . . .

It was list mate Nancy Giffin 3000 miles away.

Great musical night too. Band cooked even though we hadn't seen or played
with Randy in about 5 years. Example: (no pre set program, heck, he knows
all the songs so we wing it shooting for spontaneity)

Third song in, I called "I Can't Get Started" in C. He plays an absolutely
gorgeous lead, I sing it with updated lyrics, then he solos on the first
part of the out chorus. At the bridge, he takes a breath and says "Lets go
to Db after bridge." I nod OK and frantically signal (5 fingers) guitar,
bass and trombone that we are going to Db, and mouth "after bridge".

Well, it went up as smooth as silk, sounding like we rehearsed it, to a
beautiful finish.

The whole concert was like that. Head arrangements while you wait,
modulations, impromptu riffs, duets etc. Man, that's jazz.

My what fun. Nancy, Randy & I wished you were there, you would have loved
it. He is such a musical player.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. His new CD is out. With Kenny Davern, Tony DiNicola, Dan Barrett et al.
I've ordered one and everybody on this list should do likewise. Randy is one
of the young live guys that we old farts should be listening to because he
blows 95% of those old dead guys away .