[Dixielandjazz] forbidden tunes

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 18:18:35 PDT 2005

No, Joe Hopkins-not to those tunes. But when I was a band director I had a
small "jazz band" that performed at the several concerts we offered each year.
I  well remember one concert in particular-the group did "Five Feet Two' with
a  small dance team doing the Charleston. That went over well. Our final
number was  that old chestnut ":The Saints" That did NOT go over well with one
lady, who  loudly berated me after the concert for playing church music in such a
sacrilegious manner. I thought she was going to hit me with her umbrella,
which  she kept shaking in my face. Never played the "Saints" again in concert.

Maybe music educators have a rougher time of it today than club  musicians.

                 tradjazz