Fw: Re: [Dixielandjazz] music in church

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 18:17:56 PDT 2005

First (jazz?) organ in America???

Hummmm interesting.

Regarding the "devil's instrument", .........
If this organ arrived around 1640-1650, at that time in England Cromwell was melting down organ pipes for his army,
breaking stain glass windows and stabling the horses in the churches. The Anglicans were too Catholic, he said.

However, I googled to see when the first organ came to America (I'm too lazy to go get my ...History of the Organ ....book.)
Anyway here is what this site said: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11297a.htm

In America the first organ erected was imported from Europe in 1713 for Queen's Chapel, Boston.
It was followed by several others, likewise imported. In 1745 Edward Broomfield of Boston built the first organ in America.

I'd be real interested to know where Larry in St Loo- got his info. Maybe it's true. ????