[Dixielandjazz] politically correct?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Jul 14 12:18:56 PDT 2005

In this age of political correctness I get really tired about hearing it.
There are limits to everything.  I do not go out of my way to either offend
or to be offended however, there are people that have a perpetual chip on
their shoulder.  The rage is always near the surface.  You can see this
almost every day in traffic and every so often in the newspapers when
someone goes over the line with road rage and kills someone.  This is not a
unique phenomenon with any race but it often takes race as it's outlet.
Someone who is frustrated with life in general is an accident waiting to
happen and that person may just be looking for a podium to vent his self
righteous spleen at someone over real or imagined wrongs to him, his family,
his race or religion or his ancestors.

Guess who is in center stage but the band leader who has committed this
terrible injustice to the same people I just named.  In his self righteous
indignation he has a cause so it's only natural that he may come after you.

Would I play Dixie?  It depends.  If I were asked to play at the dedication
of a Confederate Memorial I would. ( There is a new confederate memorial in
St. Louis and they might have had a band at it.  If it were my band and if I
were asked I would play it because it would be appropriate.)  As Abraham
Lincoln said when he requested his favorite song "Dixie" that it was a
"spoil of war" and that we now all own it.  By the same token if I were
playing for almost anything else I wouldn't, again because I would just
prefer to not become a target for someone's problem and there's just so many
better things to play..  Now about the other tunes "Black and blue",
"Darktown Strutters Ball" which I play all the time, I will continue playing
them and if someone decides that I'm a racist over it then I'm OK with that
and feel sorry for him because he has a problem.

Personally I am offended by educated people who slump into the lowest common
denominator of language where MF, F* and N*****(**) are almost every other
word to say nothing of Rap music where the content and language are highly
charged with racial hate and raunchy language just to sell records.  Bill
Cosby was right in his condemnation of this behavior..  We shouldn't
tolerate it but we do because to not do so is in itself politically
incorrect.  Blacks tolerate it because to not tolerate it will make them
targets by appearing too "White" or "Oreo" and in some odd way educated
black people want to seem to be more "Ghetto" to avoid their friends
thinking that they are too good or uppity.  How someone with a Master's or
PHD can suddenly talk like someone with a third grade education is beyond
me.

(**)is it politically correct to use the N since everyone knows the word and
unconsciously says the forbidden word in their head when the big N is used?

I have a simple guideline.  If you don't go out of your way to offend or to
be offended you will usually be OK.  If you feel that you want to play those
tunes just don't introduce them with their titles and just play the tune.

My advice is that if you do offend someone with a tune then I wouldn't play
that tune the next time I played there again provided they ask you back.
Would I take the tune off my play list? - no way.  Another tack that you
might try is to patiently listen to the person and ask him why the piece of
music is offensive, let him vent and then plead ignorance, apologize and go
on about your business.  Is that selling out?  Well maybe so but I
personally am not up there to make political statements either correct  or
not.

We should be entertainers first. We are not in the business to offend people
but to entertain them. To do otherwise is just bad business practice.

Larry Walton
St. Louis