[Dixielandjazz] politically correct?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 09:07:10 PDT 2005

Having played professionally for forty plus years I pride myself as a
bandleader in being able to program any given gig with the appropriate
songs suitable for all audiences and if there is some Johnny come
lately wannabe politically correct twit in the audience who is too
ignorant to understand the historical and Traditional values of a great
song then as far as I am concerned they can just be offended.  As they
are obviously politically incorrect in being at the event in the first
place.

  I also have an almost all Black ( not African) American Band and I
have never had a problem form one of them regarding not wanting to play
a song.    However I have not asked them to play DIXIE yet, :))   That
one might raise a stink.   To not play a beautiful tune like Black and
Blue would be a great disservice to the songwriter, and the same with
Darktown Strutters Ball which I believe was written for Hookers, and
not racial at all.  If one Black person in the audience complained
about us playing Black and Blue I would follow it up with "We Shall
Overcome" and dedicate it to my new found offended fan, and save
"Mammy" for the encore.  :))

As I said it is only a twit that has to try and be politically correct,
people of all races are funny and the cultural differences make it that
way, I have often been in the company of some so called high brow
highly educated politically correct affirmative action PHDs at Black
social events, and witnessed them slip right into the Ghetto
communication mode calling each other MF and using  the N word freely
amongst themselves.   Political correctness is mainly trotted out when
someone wants to call extra attention to themselves and play the RACE
CARD.  Happens all the time, and quite often these same folks are
irritating to the others in the room who do not subscribe to such
nonsense.    "Nigger is not a Color"   it is an attitude, and disease
which can and does afflict all manner of folks.  :))   African is not a
color, but "Black" is and so is White, Yellow, and Red, Pink and Brown,
and people come in all colors, I have even seen Blue Men on television.
:))

Now the ugliest word know is "Politician"

Musical content:  "Don't Scandalize my Name"  and, "Play that Funky
Music White Boy"

cheers,

Tom Wiggins