[Dixielandjazz] Lost Instruments

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Jul 11 21:23:36 PDT 2005

In the city of St. Louis there is a pawnshop squad but here is the drill.
If they find it you will have to pay for the item just as if you were
redeeming it out of pawn and this is after the cops find it and they lean on
the pawnshop owner.

Here's why --- the thief isn't a thief until he has been - caught -
prosecuted - and convicted.  Then he is a thief.  They will look you in the
eye and tell you that you could have stolen your own horn and pawned it and
now you are trying to get it back on the cheap while crying great tears and
telling the cop that you kind of look like the guy that brought it in.  I'm
not sure if they are required to take photos of the person or not but they
weren't then.  At the time I had a instrument stolen that's the crap I got
but I did get the horn back after paying the pawnshop owner.  The only way I
got it back is that I had the SN and also had it engraved.

Been there done that.

There are 150 municipalities in St. Louis County all of whom have to be
contacted.  The best bet may be to go through St. Louis county police. The
next best way is to file a police report and contact all the repair shops in
town with the SN.  Eventually it will need repair and you might get it back
that way.

Good Luck

Larry
St. Louis