[Dixielandjazz] Playing Loudly...some clarification

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 13:08:49 PDT 2005

Hi:
Unknowingly I guess I struck a nerve with the mention of loudness and in
particular Lester Young's remarks.

To paraphrase Lester, he was talking about his favorite setting for playing
ballads...just himself and a rhythm section. He felt that a full band with a
front line of brass, etc was not the right venue for ballad playing. (This may
have been why he left Bassie) Also he was always trying new things and did not
like to rely on the past successes.

In my quest for learning more about jazz, I find it helpful to listen to
shows like Ray Smith and Jim Cullum and Rob Baumberger and also actual voice
recordings of the person about whom I am curious.

If you can tolerate rough language and his brazen attitude, here is a link
for the interview I refered to:
http://www.melmartin.com/html_pages/interviews.html scroll down the page to the "Lester Young Pres Interview"

Actually I agree with Mike and Steve...play what is appropriate for the
venue. I've known Mike since high school and have great admiration for his success
and mastery of the trumpet. In fact I gave a brief review of Mike's show with
Fred Radke on this list a few months ago. So, Mike, don't think for a moment
that I have anything against your talents or the power of a great brass section!

I personally find it difficult to work in bands when the music is distorted
and forced and competitive, so my remarks were a reflection of that
frustration, not an indictment against a powerful band playing with taste and purpose.