[Dixielandjazz] RE: Our re-assembled band playing for free

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 12:00:41 PDT 2005

Dear Steve P. & all:

Those of us on this list and many who are not on the list take our
livelihoods very serious, and fight like Hell to find and secure good
paying gigs to support our sidemen and their families in what used to
be an Honorable and Professional Profession until so many bands started
doing exactly what you are doing.

Does your plumber come to your house and fix the toilet for free ?
Does your Doctor  or Dentist or Lawyer, come
provide professional services for free?  does your insurance man give
you free insurance coverage, well mine certainly does not, he charges
me about $1,200 a year up front whether I need it or not.   My Lawyer
get s $350.00 to $500.00 an hour, Doctor and Dentist are in the same
category,  Hell my mechanic gets $85.00 an hour, the plumber here gets
$125.00 an hour.

I have no idea what you and your guys do to earn a living, but you can
bet your ass you would be pissed off as Hell if I brought my band of
thirteen guys into your town and started offering to do it for free if
nobody wanted to pay us.

I have no plans to dabble  in Brain Surgery, or Heart Transplants, Root
canals, or toilet repairs, or insurance sales, etc when I retire,  Ha
ha RETIRE  what is that some kind of social disease?   In this ever
inflationary economy it will soon be a benefit that only Politicians
and many of the above named professions will ever enjoy, and sooner or
later it may well catch up to them as well and we will have 120 year
old Blind Surgeons back in the operating room attempting to do a second
Heart Transplant on some Banjo or washboard players botched weekend
hobby job.  :))

Not only is the practice of playing Free damaging the overall
employment situation for musicians directly it also sends a very
dangerous message to many other simple  narrow minded folks who quickly
get educated to the fact that you don't have to pay musicians.   I know
because I ran a festival for a city for many years that NEVER paid
Entertainers a dime, and had five stages of non-stop entertainment for
ten hours a day for two days.   They got what they paid for too, total
garbage groups and karaoke singers by the dozens, DJ's and when they
ever got a group that could actually tune up correctly and play ten or
twelve songs in the same key they were just proud as punch and would
sit around the board of directors meetings  talking about the acts that
were "Pretty Good" .

Soon there was nothing but crap acts at the festival and the city has
not seen or heard a real professional act in twenty years simply
because the first thing out of their mouth is
OH WE DON"T PAY OUR ENTERTAINERS" but you get all this great exposure
and promotion so you can book lots of good paying gigs from it.   Then
they print up the guidelines of how to run a successful festival and
pass them out at surrounding cities Chamber of Commerce mixers every
month teaching other festival organizers that they don't and should not
pay artists either.

what folks like you and many others practicing the same thing as well
as all bandleaders should do is go get your butt on the entertainment
committee of as many organizations and events within 50 mile radius of
your house and re-educate these folks to the fact that Musicians and
artists are working class people too and if we are to live and pay
taxes in their community then by God we deserve to be paid so we can
afford to live there and be their neighbors, support their schools, and
countless other non-profit minded organizations.

Anytime they want to raise money for some cause or another they run to
the musicians to proved FREE Entertainment for things like their
Hospital's great Gala Charity Ball fundraiser where all the Doctors and
Lawyers and very successful business folks in town get all dressed up
in Tuxedos and evening gowns and go out for a $500.00 a plate
Fundraising dinner primarily for a chance to see and be seen.  These
events all get great publicity and kudos for the organizers and all the
good they will do with the money they raised.  However when it is all
over and said and done the local charity generally gets the change left
over in the bottom of the pot since they spend most of the money they
raise to throw the party, and pay for the catering company, the tent
rentals, sound system rentals, stage rentals, table and chair rentals,
heater rentals, lighting rentals, ticket printing, and on and on but
they want the dumb ass musicians to play for FREE, and eat  in the
kitchen away from the IMPORTANT GUESTS AND FOLKS.

Your performance fees for Charitabl;e and non profit organizations
should be a special reduced rate for "Expenses ONLY"  since they all
get their "Expenses" paid as well as their executive directors salaries
even if they have a host of "Volunteers" doing much of the work which
they usually do ( like the Doctors and Lawyers wives who want to get
their pictures in the newspapers in their gowns at the social Ball and
make certain that they get invited to all the other Social Functions
thrown by the other Important members of the elite circuit.    IN the
meantime most of the Bands and or entertainers can't even get their
name mentioned in the press, not to mention that most of the guests at
these events are simply too busy chatting and being seen to even pay
attention to the music anyway.    Some of them are lucky if they
actually Dance one number, and don't even do that unless there is a
Press Camera pointing at them.

Now, there, That pretty much sums up the Playing for Free philosophy.

I was recently asked to bring my "High Profile"  (their words) show to
play for the Big Gala Black and White Ball fundraiser for the S.F.
Symphony, but they wanted us to perform for Free to help them raise
money to pay the players in the Symphony at an event where they had not
one but Two headline super star artists making in excess of $35,000.00
a day, I know because I have booked them on tours.  The Symphony
players were also going to do a performance for which they would also
be paid.

I told them Yeah right folk, my High Profile Act will perform for Free
the SAME DAY YOU GET THE SYMPHONY AND THOSE OTHER HEADLINE ACTS TO
PERFORM FREE FOR ME.

They kept searching until they found some other acts stupid enough and
desperate enough to play, to do it for them.

Jeers,   There ain't no Free Lunch and there should be no Free Music
either,  Hell they even Pay DJs while musicians sit at home, and it is
NOBODY'S Fault but Dumb ass Musicians who never learned how to treat
their business like a business.

And for those that would say " It ain't Nobody's Business if I do"
(play for free that is)  I say OH YES IT IS, IT IS OUR BUSINESS OR LACK
THERE OF.     Perhaps it's high time we started burning musical
instruments :))

For Crying Out loud, you should all be smart enough to at least "BARTER
YOUR SERVICES FOR SOMETHING USEFUL AND VALUABLE".

 Rev. Tom - Bob  Wiggins
First Church of Musical Reality.