[Dixielandjazz] RE: Our re-assembled band playing for free

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Jul 11 21:50:11 PDT 2005

Hey Tom I think that we are members of the same "church".
What a great answer-- I hope that you don't mind if I send it around to my
musician friends here in St. Louis.  With the virtual collapse of the AF of
M we have to look out for ourselves and maintain personal and musical
integrity no matter what our musical abilities.

My work is no less valuable than someone who is younger.  I will never be a
"retired" musician.  I will sell my horns if I am forced, for whatever
reason, to play for free.  I work hard at what I do and I try to keep up my
chops as best I can.  The woodwork is full of guys that musically are over
the hill, that is if they ever got to the hill in the first place and will
play for free or not much at the same time fooling themselves that they are
professional grade musicians.

I do however make exceptions for community based bands that are not directly
competing with professional musicians.  For some time I played with the
Shriners and a Jr. College Concert band.  I was not competing against myself
by playing with these bands and used them at least in my mind to keep up the
chops.  These groups played during the week and also helped me network with
other musicians that did occasionally get me gigs.  This would be the only
exception to my way of thinking.

There is a big band in St. Louis that plays at a bar/restaurant, sanctioned
by the AF of M and the guys make $15.  I won't play with them because it's a
commercial establishment using union members in the guise of being a
"rehearsal" band.   Who is kidding whom.

It takes hustle to be in the music business and get paid reasonably well.
Larry - St. Louis