[Dixielandjazz] Re: female tuba eupher

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 6 09:14:10 PDT 2005

Steve and others on TubaEuph and DJML--
     It was Dave Richoux who asked about her on May 4, 2005:

"I am passing a question from the Dixieland Jazz list:

>In this name dropping game about tuba players, I do not see the name
>of Louise Anderson. She was in the Cincinnati area and worked with the
>likes of Frank Powers and Ted des Plantes. She led a short lived but
>wonderfull group, Chicago Rhythm, with herself, Hal Smith, Frank
>Powers, John Otto, and Jack Meilhan.
>
>Louis played solid tuba. Have not heard much of her in late years, so
>if anyone knows any update on her please send it along.

I did a quick web search and only found a few other references to her
recorded work. (there is another Louise Anderson who writes books -
this is not her.)   Anybody in the mid-west know Louise?"

     Bill Haesler wrote back:

"I have their Stomp Off LP (SOS 1026). Recorded in Sept 1982.
A great little group with listmate Butch Thompson, cl, p; as a guest on
several tracks."

This recording was apparently never released on CD, but here are the
particulars about it:

Name of band: Chicago Rhythm
Title of recording: Chicago Rhythm
Label: Stomp Off 1026
Songs: Oh Sister Ain't That Hot, Liza, Southbound,
Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble, Laughing at You, I Lost My Gal From Memphis, King
Joe, Out of Town Gal, Hummin' to Myself, He's the Last Word,
Chicago Rhythm personnel:
Frank Powers - clarinet, tenor sax
John Otto - clarinet, alto sax
Ted Des Plantes - piano
Jack Meilahn - banjo
Louise Anderson - tuba
Hal Smith - drums

     I didn't see her listed on Terry Waldo's website.

     Dan

** Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "God tells me how the music should sound, but you stand in the way."
**                -- Arturo Toscanini to a trumpet player