[Dixielandjazz] Re: Stroh violin

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 1 14:42:09 PDT 2005

on 7/1/05 12:35 PM, Tamas Ittzes at bohem at fibermail.hu wrote:

> Steve and all,
>
> I, too, own a Stroh violin and play it in my band. It's funny that you
> had a link to an URL of an Australian band that plays Irish music with
> the Stroh violin invented in England by a German, and I am a Hungarian
> who plays American music with a Stroh violin made in Rumania (and they
> use it there in folkish wedding bands). Music still seems to be a really
> international language. If you look up our web site at
> www.bohemragtime.com, find the Early Hungarian Jazz CD (should be
> entitled Early Jazz in Hungary) on our Discography page and you'll see
> me playing that Stroh violin on the cover of the CD.

The world is a small place. The inventor of the Stroh violin, a German
living in England was a distant cousin to a friend of mine, now deceased,
who was an executive with Ford Motor Company in Detroit. Ed Stroh. Another
cousin of his was the owner of a beer company that brews Stroh's Beer here
in the USA.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone