[Dixielandjazz] Re: Stroh violin

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 1 17:35:39 PDT 2005

Dear Tamas and Steve,
As a matter of interest, we Oz jazz and dance band enthusiasts have been
aware of the Stroh violin for many years.
They were popular here, as indicated on the website for the 'Fiddle Tunes
Band', posted by Steve. (This popular group is based in the Hunter Valley
area about 80 miles north of Sydney (where I live) - the local winery area.)
The Stroh violin is well featured in an early Australian silent film where
the heroine does a 'charleston' sequence with a jazz band (the Crystal
Palace Orchestra) comprising trumpet; two saxophonists (alto and tenor
doubling soprano); banjo; a full-kitted drummer and Stoh violin. We know it
is supposed to be a jazz band, as they perform the playing gestures
associated, in the public mind, with our music.
The film is 'Greenhide' (1926), the second feature directed by the
celebrated Australian film maker Charles Chauvel.
Unfortunately, the only print of the film, held by ScreenSound Australia
(our national film and sound archive) is incomplete.
Chauvel's musical synopsis has survived, in which he suggests that "That
Certain Party" (1925. Gus Kahn-Walter Donaldson) be played by the cinema
pianist at this point.
This song would have been known to film audiences at that time, as it had
just been recorded and issued here by the Palais Royal Californians, a
visiting 'jazz' band from the US.
Kind regards,
Bill.