[Dixielandjazz] RE: Stroh violin

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Fri Jul 1 09:35:56 PDT 2005

Steve and all,

I, too, own a Stroh violin and play it in my band. It's funny that you
had a link to an URL of an Australian band that plays Irish music with
the Stroh violin invented in England by a German, and I am a Hungarian
who plays American music with a Stroh violin made in Rumania (and they
use it there in folkish wedding bands). Music still seems to be a really
international language. If you look up our web site at
www.bohemragtime.com, find the Early Hungarian Jazz CD (should be
entitled Early Jazz in Hungary) on our Discography page and you'll see
me playing that Stroh violin on the cover of the CD.

Tamas
------------------
Thanks for the info. One can see a picture of this instrument, (cross
between a violin and a gramophone) plus some information about it at:
http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~mbgsk/instruments.html
Scroll down till you get to it. (near the bottom). Truly wondrous and
testament to the fact that "necessity is the mother of invention."
Cheers, Steve
Tamas ITTZES - violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazzband, Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com