[Dixielandjazz] Copyrights

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Jan 27 14:26:24 PST 2005

Yeah Tom I hear you.  When I was in college I played clubs a lot and after
the first few gigs the ASCAP (???) guy showed up and hit us for $15. Those
were 1960 dollars and was equal to one sideman's pay.  I told my agent about
it and he told me to mention his name next time they came around which I did
each time.  We were never hit up again.  We would get a sorry sir it's been
taken care of.  Sometimes it was good to have a made man as your agent.
Actually I think that it was a way to extort money from everyone in the
entertainment business in southern Illinois.  If you ever watched any of the
old untouchables series on TV the area was called Little Egypt.  If anyone
is curious why it was called that I'll tell you in another post.  I don't
know if the mob was collecting the fee or if the ASCAP guy was afraid of
them but whichever I never had to pay again.

Another extortion by the government was the Cabaret Tax.  That one kept live
music out of a lot of places too.  Everyone has his hand out in this
business.
Larry