[Dixielandjazz] Johnny CArson and the Big Band

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Jan 27 11:14:39 PST 2005

I wonder if the listmates know the following fact?

Johnny had it written into his contract that he would have a (I think it was
17-piece) band on the Tonight Show.  He would not sign his contract unless
NBC agreed to this stipulation.

At one point, when the musicians union was on strike, I think around 1973 or
so, Johnny honored their picket line & would not do the Tonight Show without
the band.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA

"There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for
themselves."
--William Penn Adair (Will) Rogers B: 11/4/1879 D: 8/15/1935