[Dixielandjazz] Ye Olde Cornets vs Lamps

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Fri Jan 21 13:56:23 PST 2005

Bob
You said Dixieland before ragtime. We are speaking about the 1904 World's
Fair. Mississippi Rag (W. H. Krell) was copyrighted in 1897. Joplin
copyrighted Maple Leaf Rag in 1899.
Bolden's band was reputed to be pkaying the music before 1904.

Note: in the above I have assumed that by Dixieland you mean jazz music, not
just the funny style played by white folk in striped shirts with garters on
the sleeve and derby hats.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia