[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland before ragtime?

Brian Harvey pembroke.dock02 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 21 10:25:30 PST 2005

Bob Romans wrote - there's a mention of Dixieland being played at the 1904
St. Louis World's Fair...oops! I don't THINK so...

It could have happened. Ragtime started a long time before 1904 and music
very much like Dixieland could have been played before the turn of the
century although if we heard it now we probably would not have recognised it
as such.
A very old English lady is on record commenting after hearing a British band
playing their type of New Orleans Jazz - "Oh that's not new - the German
Bands (street bands) were playing that sort of thing before the Great
(1914-1918) war"
Brian Harvey