[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland before ragtime?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:51:56 PST 2005

. . . and speaking of "Oh that's not new - the German Bands (street bands)
were playing that sort of thing before the Great >(1914-1918) war" . . .

How far back does the yiddish "klezmer" music go back?  I'd guess it
developed about the same time that dixieland did.  But I really have no
idea.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter

ps.  I've heard it said that Blacks invented the blues and in the same
breath the speaker said "and whites invented dixieland."  I have no idea
whether or not any of this is true.

BG