[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Vocalist

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Jan 8 15:39:02 PST 2005

 LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing wrote:

(snip)

> ...my new vocalist is Jewish.  Since we have a dozen or so
> Christian tunes in the book I was planning to try and book some of the
> churches in the area that have regular musical events.  Any advise on how
> should approach her on doing them or just forget about it?

When you say "forget about it," do you mean forget about approaching her
about it?  Or forget about trying to book church gigs?

As far as I am concerned, if she is a professional, she will do the job, no
matter where it is.

I am not Jewish but would play in a Jewish church if I were hired.

I once played for a John Birch Society picnic where during the breaks, they
played military, march music & gave away a rifle with telescopic sights.  I
am not a member of the JBS.

I have played for strip shows, but I am not a stripper!

Les Deutsch, piano player for the Night Blooming Jazzmen is Jewish.  They
play Christian churches on a regular basis.

If she balks at the gig, don't use her, or get another, professional singer.

--Bob Ringwald
Amateur Radio Station K6YBV