[Dixielandjazz] More Gig Tips

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat Jan 8 13:28:53 PST 2005

Normally I wouldn't talk about religion on a list for fear of offending some
people but OKOM is sometimes religious in nature and sometimes we perform
for churches and other religious groups.  So here goes.

Anyone that asks for a kickback, no matter what the name of it is, is a
crook.  They put people in jail for that in any other business.  Asking your
religious preference is highly unethical.  The state of someone's soul or
religious preference is no one's business but theirs.  If their toilet is
backing up do they ask the same questions of the plumber?  I don't think so.

All but the extreme religious right would welcome the chance to witness to
the faith.  The problem with them is it's more like an exclusive club with
secret handshakes and code words.

Some years ago a friend of mine took a Band Director job at a High School
in the extreme southern part of central Missouri.  He was and is a
practicing Catholic.  The area is very fundamentalist Christian.  The very
first thing his students asked him was is he saved?  Not Hi or how are you.
His life was made miserable and he beat feet as fast as he could out of
there.  They do that.  Many are very clannish and almost cult like.

My first teaching job was predicated on if I went to church.  It was one of
the interview questions.

It's just this kind of junk that gives religion a bad name and gives
everyone a bad taste in their mouth.  Oh and by the way If you pick any band
you will probably find about the same mix as you would find if you picked
six or so random people on the street.

For the past 10 years I have taught band at a Lutheran school and when I
took the job the first thing I told the band director is that I was a Mason.
It's one of the groups that Lutherans don't like very much.  It was no
problem.

I was at a friends house yesterday and he books some high end jazz things
with the best players in town.  They were doing a weekend jazz event at a
local church and the catch came when they insisted on their drummer for the
gig. (probably free).  He was a Rock drummer and hadn't a clue about jazz
and big band.  The job went downhill fast with all the jazzers crying a lot.
The leader suggested some things to the drummer because he was destroying
the group and the minister took him into his office and forbade him to tell
the drummer anything unless he had cleared it with him first.  Needless to
say that the gig was a disaster from the word go.  Guess who will probably
be blamed!

Having said all that my new vocalist is Jewish.  Since we have a dozen or so
Christian tunes in the book I was planning to try and book some of the
churches in the area that have regular musical events.  Any advise on how I
should approach her on doing them or just forget about it?