[Dixielandjazz] Uncle Yoke's Black Dog Jazz Band

rahberry at comcast.net rahberry at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 05:55:32 PST 2005

Hi Bill,
Uncle Yoke's Black Dogs included Steve Yocum on trombone, Davy Jones on cornet, Jim Buchmann on clarinet and saxes, Ed Metz Jr. on drums, Bob Leary on banjo and guitar, Dave Gannett on tuba, and Tom Hook on piano.  They played their last ever gig at the Orange County festival in Costa Mesa about three or four years ago.
Tom Hook has put together various groups since that time calling them variations on the name (Les Chiens Noir, for instance).  He's now back to calling them the Black Dogs, but they are not the original group.
The original group made three cassettes and put out a compilation CD called "Dog Biscuits:The Dogs Are In the House."
The were a great favorite of mine and I still haven't gotten over the fact that they broke up.
Through the DJML I've gotten several copies on tapes that fellow fans made at various appearances of the Dogs.
>From talking to Steve Yocum I don't expect them to get together again.
Rae Ann