[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland at Carnegie Hall

Charlie Coleman charliew8fim at ncool.net
Fri Jan 7 12:32:26 PST 2005

Hi, Listees:    This is partially in reply to webmeister Ringwald's casting of the gauntlet to us lurkers.   I get so involved in reading the posts that I wonder how I can add anything to this well informed site.
     However, I do have a question regarding an old LP that was given to me.   Normally I "pass" on any jazz LP that has "Saints" on the play list, especially from the junk store labels.   But this is a FORUM LP SF 9001, which lists "25 top stars" (another poison pill for me).   But having nothing better to do at the time, I put it on the turntable and Wonder of Wonders - Jimmy McPartland announcing a line-up of NY musicians;  Wild Bill Davison, Pee Wee Russell, Vic Dickinson, George Wettling, Joe Barufaldi, Zutty Singleton, Miff Mole, Bud Freeman, Cozy Cole, Tony Parenti,Ricky Nelson, Dick Cary, Tyree Glenn, Al Hall, Gene Schroeder, Buzzy Drootin, Bob Wilbur, Phil Failla, Mousey Alexander, Tommy Potter and Sammy Price.
    This was evidently produced some time in the 1950's, with liner notes by Robert Sylvester.    What  an incredible live concert with Jimmy McPartland doing the commentary.     Conspicuous by their absence:  Eddie Condon and Ernie Caceres.   The tunes "Royal Garden" , "Basin Street" "Tin Roof", "High Society" "Saints", "Rosetta",  "Sidewalks of NY", "Riverboat Shuffle", "Drums vs. Vibes", "That's A Plenty" were for the most part the typical war-horses, but with McPartland & Davison tearing up Royal Garden and Russell, Barufaldi and Parenti doing a trio on  Tin Roof Blues made them fresher than I would have imagined.
    Are there any on the list that are familiar (may have attended) this concert, and if there is a more complete recording available.
    Thanks for reading and any response.     Charlie "took the challenge" Coleman

p.s.   Currently on my turntable from the 'archives' :   "Marty Grosz and Keith Inham and their Paswonky Serenaders "Unsaturated Fats" on the prolific Stomp Off label.