[Dixielandjazz] More on Artie Shaw plus Albert Marx

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 17:24:45 PST 2005

At this point, I wish Albert Marx were still alive.  He owned Musicraft and
was responsible for numerous good projects, not the least being the
recording of the '38 BG Carnegie Concert.  Albert would have been most happy
to discuss this project in great detail.  Until now I didn't realize his
connection with Shaw as well as Goodman.

The late Chuck Niles (my all-time favorite jazz DJ)  introduced me to
Albert.  Quoting Niles there was "Harpo, Groucho, Chico, Gummo, Zeppo and
CHEAPO."  (I won't comment further on this analysis.)

At the time I met Albert, he had just moved from Palm Springs to the Beverly
Hills area of LA and was searching for the original master tapes to the BG
Concert (he had "loaned" the dubs to BG who then sold them to Columbia sans
permission from Marx).   He had me searching lots of strange places with
hopes of locating the first generation masters but I had no success.
Eventually the original masters were located in LA and released around the
time of Albert's death.

One of my best friends in the LA area was Oliver Berliner (grandson of the
guy who invented the mic and flat phonograph record
http://www.capsnews.org/apn2000.htm).  The loop on this Albert Marx story
was completed for me when I told Ollie of my search for Albert's missing
recordings and he told me that he once was engaged to Albert's daughter.
(Small world time, again.)

If the thread entrepreneurs of jazz is ever discussed, Albert Marx would
have to be included near the top of the list along with John Hammond and
others.  Albert was successful.  I never did end up doing business with him
so never did have first hand experience how "Cheapo" Marx got his name.
Then again, I'm not inclined to misjudge Chuck Nile's calls on anything.  He
was quite a guy.

I'm rambling and disconnected here but a flood of memories are coming to the
surface.  I hope you don't mind my sharing them with you.

Dick B