[Dixielandjazz] More on Artie Shaw

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 21:07:05 PST 2005

I've just finished listening to the 1954 Gramercy Five sessions with Tal
Farlow on guitar, Joe Rolands on vibes, and Hank Jones on piano. They're a
bit modern for some but excellent jazz for others. One of the tunes they
recorded was "The Pied Piper Theme". This was a tune Shaw had written for
the musical background for a children's album telling the story of "The Pied
Piper Of Hamlin". I think it was recorded about 1946 or so for the Musicraft
label and featured Harry Von Zell as the narrator. It was directed at
children but the humor was subtle but well done and Shaw's accompaniment was
unique.

I don't know how many of you remember this. I first heard it during the
early '50s on a radio broadcast. It's never left my mind. Does anyone know
if this recording has been reissued on CD?

Does anyone else remember this recording (both sides of 3 10 inch 78's)?

Thanks;

Stan
Stan Brager