[Dixielandjazz] Re: Guarnieri And harpsichord

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Jan 2 00:15:26 PST 2005

I too was able to count Johnny Guarnieri as my very close friend.  In fact,
he wrote a song for me called "Raggedy Bob."

Unfortunately there are so many questions I could have asked him.

I also never asked him about the use of the harpsichord in the Gramercy 5.

However, I do remember one time, I believe he was performing.  He said,
"Shaw asked me if I would play harpsichord on a recording session."

I replied, "Sure. . . . What's a harpsichord?"

It was funny the way he said it but, I am quite sure that it was just a joke
as, of course he would have known what a harpsichord was.

Johnny's widow lives near me here in Northern California.  I see her from
time to time.  Johnny was a wonderful man & a great pianist.

--Bob Ringwald
Placerville, CA USA
Amateur Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band