[Dixielandjazz] Re: Public Broadcasting

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 27 11:09:25 PST 2005

Hi listmates,

(This may be a bit long and if you don’t want to read it, you could just
skip to the last paragraph which I think is important to all of us.)

Listmate and good friend, Pat Ladd, wrote a rather critical review of TV in
America. Among other things, he wrote:

(snip)
“My first encounter with American TV was a shock. Firstly because of the
appallingly poor technical level of the picture compared to the UK (this was
some years ago and you have now nearly caught up) and secondly because of
the frequency of the interruptions of the programme by advertisements.”
(end snip)

I don’t remember exactly how many television channels there are available in
England and I also don’t know how many cable and satellite channels are
available to watch in the U.K.  But it is certainly true that in the U.S. we
have hundreds and hundreds of channels available, all going day and night
from Classical Music and Drama to Rap and Pornography. Most channels come at
a price and the only channels available free to everyone are a limited
number in any given community totalling perhaps 7 or 8 channels. In
Sacramento I think they would be channels 3, 6, 10, 13, 40 and 58 (perhaps
one or two more). If you want to watch anything else you have to buy the
service from the local cable or satellite company.

The important difference is that this is a fee to the commercial enterprise
and not the U.S. Government! In America free channels are just that - FREE -
and Americans pay zero licensing fee to the government to receive anything
over the airwaves.

Pat Ladd also writes:

(snip)
“The BBC on the other hand , freed from the restraints of having to chase
ratings (although they do to some extent) can spend the license fee income
on producing first class `classical` drama, music etc, with a more limited
appeal.”
(end snip)

To what extent the BBC is “freed from restraints” is problematical. One
normally “chases ratings” by providing that which is most desired by the
consumer. If this results in “any sort of trash which will keep the audience
watching their channel” then the BBC deliberatly ignores what the public
want to watch. They (the public) must watch that which is deemed “better.”

Pat Ladd also writes:

(snip)
“Here the amount of advertising shown per hour is limited by law.”
(end snip)

Such limitations in the USA would be considered an infringement on the right
of free expression and would be staunchly rejected by the first amendment to
the Constitution. By the way, there may be some confusion between the use of
the phrases “free speech” and “paid speech” such as commercial
announcements.  The Constitution makes no distinction between the two and no
legal mechanism exists to squelch commercial speech simply because it is
bought and paid for. There may be other reasons to restrict speech (inciting
to riot, etc.) but the fact that it is commercial is not one of them.

I will grant anyone the truth of the statement that American television
contains tons and tons of pure garbage, poorly produced and edited and much
of it is a total insult to intelligent people. The only thing to speak of in
favor of the American system is ----> CHOICE! <---- .

There is a constant battle in this country (USA) between the forces of
censorship and the forces of free expression. So far, free expression seems
to have the winning position and, in spite of the fact that it means we have
to put up with tons of trash, we also are free to select from many more tons
of choices.  By the way, I believe Pat Ladd spells “tons” like this . . .
“tonnes.”

Here one is not limited to a single channel controlled by the government.

Here one does not have to watch movies with excessive commercials. There are
other sources of televised offerings which are more modest in the commercial
aspects of the broadcast . . . some with none at all.

A criticism is leveled at the BBC to the effect that they have a
social/political agenda and the programming is monitored and censored to
maintain the “official” dogma. I am neither prepared to defend nor oppose
such criticism, but merely point out that the criticism exists.

Basically, in the U.S.A. it all boils down to this: “If you don’t like it,
don’t watch it.” There are myriads of alternate choices.

In many other countries the choices are: “Either watch this or nothing.”

Finally, lest you think that this thread has no place on the DJML - please
note that one’s choice of music is precious to people free to choose. Nazi
Germany and Soviet repression dealt rather severe blows to jazz.  When the
authorities start restricting expression it’s time to watch out. Just
because they’re not coming for you right now doesn’t mean that sooner or
later they won’t!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill “I like the BBC - but I also like everything else” Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com