[Dixielandjazz] Re: Public Broadcasting

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Feb 27 05:23:59 PST 2005

Pat Ladd wrote from the UK:

Hi All,
In  the UK the BBC is our only publicly funded service in that you have to
have a licence to receive TV pictures of any sort. Radio as well for that
matter. That money goes to the BBC and they carry no advertising. All other
channels , Sky, ITV etc are paid for by advertising.

Pat, I get British Sky using a huge dish on my roof in Madrid.  Aside from
being able to watch The Simpsons in Engish (AND in Surround Sound with a
digital picture!), I am able to watch original version (read English, not
dubbed into Spanish) films without any advertising interruptions whatsover.
There's ads between the movies, but not during.

Spanish tv is similar to US as far as ad interruptions.  While at the gym
the other day, the various screens around the place showed a film, which,
just as soon as the title bit was over went into an ad break which (I
counted) showed 33 different ads before getting back to the film about 15
minutes later!

Jim