[Dixielandjazz] Re: Public Broadcasting

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 27 04:17:25 PST 2005

I thank my lucky stars for public broadcasting,>>

Hi All,
In  the UK the BBC is our only publicly funded service in that you have to
have a licence to receive TV pictures of any sort. Radio as well for that
matter. That money goes to the BBC and they carry no advertising. All other
channels , Sky, ITV etc are paid for by advertising. To attract advertising
they have to chase the ratings with any sort of trash which will keep the
audience watching their channel. Big Brother, I am a Celebrity..,Jerry
Springer etc.,
The BBC on the other hand , freed from the restraints of having to chase
ratings (although they do to some extent) can spend the license fee income
on producing  first class `classical` drama, music etc,  with a more limited
appeal.
My first encounter with American TV was a shock. Firstly because of the
appallingly poor technical level of the picture compared to the UK (this was
some years ago and you have now nearly caught up) and secondly because of
the frequency of the interruptions of the programme by advertisements.
Here the amount of advertising shown per hour is limited by law. In the
States I found that commercial breaks occurred so often that it was
difficult to follow the programme. Also as the denouement of the play, film,
whatever, approached, the number of interruptions by advertising increased.
I watched Clint Eastwoods `Pale Rider` in an American hotel room and by the
end of the film there seemed to be `commercial breaks` every two minutes.I
can see that in a twisted kind of way this makes comercial sense but it
entirely ignores the viewing publics interest and reduces them to shopping
fodder. The worst part was at the end of the film when Clint rides away into
the sunset. The final fade was approaching and there was yet another
commercial break. The film resumed, ran for about 10 seconds and then the
credits rolled.Awful!.
The current license fee is £121. I would happily pay twice that not to have
programmes constantly halted by adverts.

Cheers

Pat