[Dixielandjazz] The Impact of Kenny G.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 19:17:36 PST 2005

Click!!! Tom, you just turned the light on for many of us.

Not only that, but did you notice that Metheny opines that what the G man
plays is indeed jazz? At least he had the sense to differentiate G's
abilities from Grover Washington Jr., who invented the smooth jazz genre in
the early 1970s.

Grover was a master of his horn, and a fellow Philadelphia reed man. G made
smooth jazz popular, but Grover was the innovator. Kind of the Buddy Bolden
- ODJB story all over again.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Tom Wiggins at TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote (polite snip)