[Dixielandjazz] Lesson for Marketing your Music

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 18:33:02 PST 2005

So you can't find a gig to play OKOM:  Try going to Church to get some
marketing lessons, and many of us should have gotten several lessons from the last
Presidential Election.    Bottom Line:  Ya Gotta Take it to the People you want
to convert to your idea .

Cheers,

Rev. Tom Bob Wiggins

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. (Feb. 21) - Minutes before one of Sunday's services at
Salem Fields Community Church, Thomas Foster drove a few laps around the Daytona
500 track.

The 8-year-old was in Spotsylvania County - not in Florida for the big race.
He was taking his turn in a simulator that lets people experience driving in
NASCAR's premier event.

Inside the yellow No. 5 Kellogg's car - which has an engine but can't be
driven - were steering wheels, accelerators, brake pedals and video screens. Two
drivers at a time could race the 23-car field.

The car was parked outside Salem Fields as part of NASCAR Sunday, the
church's second annual event combining racing and Jesus.

Pictures of NASCAR drivers were throughout the Gordon Road church. A mini No.
8 car and Goodyear tire were on its stage, where a band played country.
Church officials wore black T-shirts saying "NASCAR Sunday pit crew." A big-screen
television was set up for the race.

The point, said co-pastor Buddy Marston, is to attract people who love NASCAR
but haven't been going to church.

"Our church tries to find what the culture connects with," Marston said. "And
then connect them with Christ and the church."

It seemed to work. About 700 people attended Sunday's 11AM ET service, and
church officials estimate another 700 people total went to the weekend's other
two services.

NASCAR Sunday isn't the only out-of-the-ordinary event the church puts on.
They've held concerts on New Year's Eve and an annual Biker Day service in June
that last year drew 250 motorcycles.

"We try to reach out to the community anyway we can," said Ian Soper, the
church's communications director.

Salem Fields is decidedly more casual than most churches. Most people wear
blue jeans and T-shirts - attire that church member Ken Lardie said is more
welcoming.

Sunday's service opened with a band blasting out the lyrics of "I'm From The
Country."

But then the service got serious. Marston, who is co-pastor with his wife,
Gaye, delivered a sermon about the importance of never lying. Using a NASCAR
metaphor, he said his marriage was troubled until he started being honest.

"We were on this giant oil slick," Marston said.

The church served lunch and showed the race after the 11AM service. People
lined up for their shots inside the No. 5 car.

Thomas Foster had already been there, done that. He grinned widely after
exiting the car, shyly saying he had won the race.

Buddy Marston said during his sermon that he was glad for "outside-the-box"
activities such as the NASCAR simulator.

After all, whether the drivers win, lose or draw, they're doing so at church.
And that's the point.