[Dixielandjazz] The Audience & Artie Shaw

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 16:37:34 PST 2005

It was about 51 years ago that Artie Shaw, a GIANT OF JAZZ left the music
scene for other intellectual pursuits. He was successful at those also.

He quit music, he said, because the demands of the "audience" were too much
for him. He hated the "audience". According to him "THEY" were morons and
imbeciles.

Thinking about that this morning, I was suddenly struck with a revelation.

"WE" are the "THEY".

That's a good thing to remember when we get up on our high horses about the
imbeciles and morons of today's musical audience. Kinda puts things into
perspective. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve (who me?) Barbone