[Dixielandjazz] Playing for Today's Audience - No, Not Again!!!

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 14:53:26 PST 2005

Yes, again.

Phone rings today so I answer it.

"Hello"

"Hello is this Mr. Barbone." (young male voice)

"Yes"

"My name is Eric -----. How Much would you charge to have your band play a
party on a Sunday Afternoon?"

"Depends on where, how many hours and what kind of a party."

"At Hartefield C.C., 3 hours, High School Graduation Party. May 22 or 29."

"$1400" (which I hear repeated to someone else)

"Hello, Mr. Barbone?, this is Eric's dad. Are you open May 22 and/or May 29,
we are not sure which date yet."

Well to make a long story short, I booked the gig, for either date. Holding
them both till they confirm one by this weekend. Personally I hope it is for
the 29th which will bring our Memorial Day weekend bookings to over $1000
per sideman. That's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, or any
OKOM Festival you can  name since gigs are LOCAL, NO TRAVEL and WILL EXPAND
OUR FAN BASE resulting in more local gigs if we choose to accept them.

Turns our Eric and his dad heard us in Dickinson High School last night at
the Red Clay School District Performing Arts event.

NOW WHAT WAS THAT SOMEBODY WANTED TO SAY ABOUT KIDS NOT LIKING OKOM?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone