[Dixielandjazz] New issue of George Buck's Jazzbeat

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 15 13:59:01 PST 2005

DJJLers and others--
     Just received the Summer 2004 issue of George Buck's _Jazzbeat_,
and either my copy has been thrashing around in various Post Offices
for half a year (well, the back cover _has_ been torn and somebody
mended with tape, and my copy's first page is page 3), or this issue
is a tad bit late.  Still, i don't recall that anyone else has posted
info about this issue.
     Anyway, there's a lot of good stuff in this issue of _Jazzbeat_,
and i know lots of you folks out there subscribe to it (and if you
don't, why not?; it's free if you buy something).  But one of the
best pieces of information is that the recording by the Boll Weevil
Jass Band _You Gotta See Your Mama_, with Jean Kittrell (BCD-51,
originally recorded in 1970), is now officially released (i got my
copy in May 2004 at George's in New Orleans). And as George himself
says on page 12, "I highly recommend this one." Dan Havens plays good
hot cornet and Jean Kittrell is also in very good form.
     Also, there is a very nice article on former listmate Jim Beebe
and his passing by Paige Van Vorst, plus articles on Waldren 'Frog'
Joseph, Butch Thompson, Kenny Davern, Art Hodes, and lots more.
     Now, y'all go over to http://www.jazzology.com/index.php and
order a bunch of recordings, hear?

     Dan