[Dixielandjazz] Italians Jazz in NYC

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 11:31:10 PST 2005

The Italians are going to invent "Jazz" all over again :-) VBG.

Sorry to say Tito Martino and I will not be there. Ah well, at least Ira
Gitler opines that; "Italian jazz musicians are the best in Europe and are
world-class players."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

For Immediate Release

JAZZITALIANO IN NEW YORK MARCH 1 - 6, 2005 http://www.jazzitaliano.com

Italian jazz musicians are the best in Europe and are world-class players.
American jazz lovers have been aware of this to some extent, through
recordings and some live performances in New York over the past few decades.
In March New York audiences will have an even clearer and more complete
picture. From the 1st through the 6th, conceived by impresario Giampiero
Rubei, the Jazzitaliano Festival will be presented in a variety of Manhattan
jazz clubs.

Italy's most prominent jazz drummer, Roberto Gatto, heads a quintet that
includes noted trombonist Roberto Rossi; trumpeter Fabio Morgera, already
well-established in New York, will lead a quintet with George Garzone, tenor
saxophonist and renowned professor at the Berklee College of Music in Boston
and Italo-American Pete Malinverni on piano; pianist Riccardo Biseo and
clarinettist Gianni Sanjust lead yet another quintet, with Marcello Rosa as
a guest star; young firebrand alto saxophonist Rosario Giuliani sparks his
own quartet; bassist Pippo Matino and guitarist Andrea Braido perform in duo
with classical material (Pastorius, Montgomery) as well as with original
pieces; U.S.-based guitarist Fabrizio Sotti (he has been there for 12 years)
is at the helm of a trio that features organist Oliver Van Essen and
percussionist Clarence Penn; and last, but not least, trumpet talents Flavio
Boltro and Fabrizio Bosso co-lead a quintet, Le Trombe del Re, in tribute to
trumpet giants Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan.

>From 1983, during my travels to Italy, I have had a chance to hear many fine
musicians. I was able to trace the development of Boltro when he and Paolo
Fresu were the two trumpeters (doubling flugelhorns) in Giovanni Tommaso's
quintet. Roberto Gatto was the drummer in that remarkable group and I¹ve
been able to enjoy his transformation into a leader in his own right. A few
years ago I heard Bosso and Giuliani as rising stars in performances with
Italian icons such as Enrico Rava and Enrico Pieranunzi, respectively. Rossi
has already impressed me, both on trombone and peckhorn and I¹ve heard
Morgera both in Italy and, later, in New York. I¹m looking forward to
hearing all of them once again and also the other musicians who will be as
new to me as they will be to you.

March in New York is said to blow in like a lion. This year that force will
be embodied by Italian jazz-lions.

Ira Gitler

Press Party Thursday, February 17 6PM to 8PM at the Italian Cultural
Institute 686 Park Ave. (Btw 68th & 69th Sts) New York NY 10021 212-879-4242
RSVP to Jim Eigo Jazz Promo Services... jazzpromo at earthlink.net

Artist bios, photos, interview requests and CDs available on request.

For schedule, venue, and festival info:   http://www.jazzitaliano.com