[Dixielandjazz] Maybe interesting background?

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Feb 15 09:46:45 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/14/2005 11:05:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:
A SNIP FROM THE STAN KENTON LIST. Note in paragraph 3 that list mate Mike
Vax has a number that will be broadcast. His band includes the venerable old
jazz master, Clark Terry. Way to go Mike.
Cheers,
Steve Barbone
PS. Mike Vax, as some may not know, is a broad gauged jazz musician. He is
also an OKOMer viz a viz the Draga-Vax Connection. (with Bob Draga)

Thanks for the plug, Steve!  I am not sure that some people on this list know
just how deeply my involvement with "OKOM" goes.  I know that in Trad circles
I am known as a "modern player" who sometimes plays traditional music, but
not in a very traditional way.
Actually, I am sort of proud of that "reputation," even thought it has meant
I am not as popular on the Trad circuit as I would like to be.
I have always felt that jazz music of any kind, shouldn't be a "museum
piece."  Don't get me wrong, I am a serious advocate of learning and teaching jazz
history.  The recordings of the past, of which I have a couple thousand, are
the most important way to learn about the music we love so much.  I am literally
a fan of all kinds of jazz.  Big band music is probably my favorite, but I
love everything!  I have just always felt that the early players of what we call
traditional jazz, were real pioneers in music.  They were always breaking new
ground, and if they were playing today, would probably not be playing exactly
as they did "back then."
My Great American Jazz Band has been together for 26 years.  (It was
originally called the Southern Comfort Jazz All-stars when we had a relationship with
that company.)  We took on the name "Great American," when we became
spokespersons for Great American Federal Savings, before the big Savings and Loan
debacle.  We were literally, one of the first bands on the Trad circuit to play the
older repertoire with a "new slant."  Some people liked it and some people
hated it. (Seems to be the same today.)
What many people don't know about me is that I have been playing traditional
jazz since high school, and actually had a "dixieland" band in college.  I
also took over the Dukes of Dixieland in New Orleans after Frank Assunto passed
away and led the band for a couple of years.  I also had the GREAT pleasure of
playing with and learning from many of the New Orleans musicians that were
around in the earlier days, such as Freddie Kohlman, Placide Adams, Frog Joseph,
Papa French, Louis Cotrell, Sweet Emma Barrett, John Brunius, and many others.
 What an education that was!!!!!!  I am also proud to say that I had contact
with some young players back then, through clinics that I did, who have become
today's young lions.  These include Wynton Marsallis, Wendel Brunius, Leroy
Jones and Terrance Blanchard.
Well, enough for now.  I just wanted to tell the people on the list who don't
me, a little about my background and my love of jazz music.  I have been
doing music clinics now for 35 years.  Teaching young people about ALL kinds of
jazz music is one of my life long passions.
Mike Vax